A Travellerspoint blog

The wet dry season

rain 24 °C
View Bali - Lombok 2010 on pythagnz's travel map.

I'm losing track of the days. Yesterday I was distracted (you know who you are) so didn't even get started on my blog entry. And today's activities started at midnight so my brain isn't functioning to its normal half-wit capacity.

Yesterday morning I started my touristing with a stroll around the Puri Lakisan Museum, a museum of fine arts, developed to display Balinese modern style of painting (ie since the 1930s). My impression was that the painters like to crowd the canvases and use as much space as possible. There is so much detail in the paintings - they are almost like batik. And filled with scenes of paddy fields and markets and people working and fighting and monkeys and monsters. Not really my kind of picture. I did like the wood carvings though.

I followed that by a wander down to the Monkey forest where there are large numbers of macaque monkeys and large numbers of tourists taking photos of them. Yes, the babies are kinda cute but it's not really my thing. I enjoyed the large trees instead.

I spent the afternoon curled up in front of my room reading a book. Very un-Amanda like I know but it was great. And I knew I'd be starting off on my next adventure at midnight so that was a good excuse for a quiet afternoon. That and the squiffy belly I got from eating some off mangosteens (I didn't know at the time).

Midnight rolled around and it was pouring with rain. So much for being the dry season. This was a tropical downpour worthy of the wet season. I had to walk 15 mins down the road to meet my pick-up for the trip to Gunung Agung and my feet were wet 3 min after leaving the guesthouse from running through puddles. Not an auspicious start to our trek. The weather continued in a similar vein so that halfway up the mountain we decided to abandon our trek and return back down again. We wouldn't have got a view and we were starting to get cold, even though I had my NZ winter woollies with me. Still we had fun and the drive back was very scenic (I had my eyes closed on the way there).

I should say that I was doing this with a Singaporean guy Lewis that I met over the internet. We have been hanging out here in Ubud for the last couple of days. He is staying on the other side of town so both of us walk about 15 min and meet in the middle. Today we met for lunch after cleaning ourselves up after being dropped off at our respective guesthouses after our trek. Then we wandered through the rice paddies behind my guesthouse. There is an organic restaurant and farm in the middle of nowhere and we sat on a tower looking at the fields and wondering how the tourists knew about this place.

Oh oh - there is a loud procession working its way down the street as I am writing this. Lots of banging of drums and musical instruments and an uncharacteristic tropical downpour (again)!

Ok that was rather a hurried and brief summary of the last couple of days. Now to upload some photos.

Posted by pythagnz 01:44 Archived in Indonesia Tagged backpacking

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents


Hi there, we're enjoying reading your blog. Too bad about your trek - hope the weather improves for the next one.

Hilary wants to tell you that she is turning five on Friday and that we are going to the mountain with Grandma and Papa. She has read your blog too.


by redcliffs

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint